If you have been involved in a major truck accident in Arizona, know that you have rights. Victims may experience devastating injuries, illnesses, and the deaths of loved ones due to the extensive damage caused by a major truck crash. It is easy for victims to suffer hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in damage if medical costs, career setbacks, and the emotional toll of the crash combine. Arizona Attorney Lawyers are here to help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
There are several common factors behind big rig collisions. These factors, however, can often be much more complicated and involve multiple parties at fault. These are some of the most common causes of truck accidents:
- Dangerous actions were taken by truck drivers, such as driving drunk, speeding, or improperly handling their vehicles.
- Truck drivers who violate state and federal regulations, including the Hours-of-Service rules and guidelines regarding work schedules.
- Trucking companies who incentivize or threaten drivers into breaking the law, leading to dangerous behavior on the road.
- Failing truck parts that cause the driver to lose control or the big rig to break down on the road. This can lead to major incidents like a jackknife or a runaway trailer.
- Dangerous roads that are either poorly designed or that have been seriously damaged and left unrepaired by responsible government agencies.
- Other passenger vehicle drivers who act recklessly, leading to a chain reaction on the road that involves a tractor-trailer.
To determine exactly what caused your accident and who should be held accountable, we will conduct an in-depth investigation into your claim. This investigation includes:
- The party that had control and custody of the vehicle when the accident occurred
- Driving logs and records, such as weigh-ins or the driver’s hours log
- The level of control the trucking company had over the driver
- The driver’s record, including past violations or criminal convictions
- Potential manufacturing defects
- The vehicle’s maintenance record
- How secure the cargo or load was when the accident occurred
Each party involved in a commercial trucking operation has a role in ensuring the vehicle is safe and properly driven to prevent an accident from occurring. Our Phoenix truck accident lawyers will work to identify which party breached its duty and failed to ensure the safe operation of the truck. Some parties that could be held liable include:
- Truck’s driver
- Trucking company
- Manufacturer of the vehicle or its parts
- Owner of the truck
- Loader or shipper of the truck’s cargo
When the case reaches a settlement, the parties at fault and their insurance companies will compensate you for any debts incurred by the accident, as well as your future needs and losses, such as recovery expenses or prolonged inability to work.
In rare cases, punitive damages may be awarded to truck accident victims if it can be proven the at-fault party acted with extreme recklessness or was intentionally malicious. However, these damages are not meant as compensation and are only awarded to punish the at-fault party and to deter others from committing similar actions.
Contact Arizona Attorney Lawyers today to discuss your truck accident and schedule a consultation.